Sunday, February 24, 2013

Adventures of Sister Elsmore 13


From: Mandy Elsmore 
Date: December 17, 2012 12:12:17 AM CST

Kumusta,

No bug nets in the house. Yes I wash my own laundry by hand. There is pretty much everything I need here in the Philippines so you don't need to send me anything. :) Antipolo is a province. There are a mix of middle class and poor people. There are many places where we teach which are smaller than my bedroom and are pretty much a shack made out of things they found off the street. However, aparrently its one of the safest places here in Quezon City. Many celebrities live here because of it. We actually have a referral to teach a actor/ model, which I my companions are VERY excited about. I have no idea who he is though. HA HA HA! Learning some Philippino dishes from companions as well. 

Starting to teach with more confidence now; however, there are times when I'm still all over the place. I need to keep practicing teaching skills and listen more to the spirit. I've made it a goal to memorize a scripture every week in Tagalog. This way I have scriptures that I can use for lessons and improve my Tagalog at the same time. 

Sis Sojor has been very sick the past couple days. :( I have been praying for her and trying to find things to do for her to make things easier. I hope she gets better soon! In the time while being at home so she can get some rest and get better, I have been writing letters of appreciation and my testimony of the savior to those in my Zone and my past companions. It has been a good reminder for me to count my blessings and review how Christ has made such a huge impact on my life. Like it says in 2 Nephi 11:5-6 "my soul delighteth" because of Christ and his atoning sacrifice for all of us, so much that I want to share this joy with others. Its been a good reminder of my purpose here. Christmas is GREAT!

We have been sharing the Christmas message with people and challenging them to share the gospel with their friends. We got a few referrals from it. :) We also shared part of Luke 2 with a family.

There is a woman who lives across from us. Nanay (mommy/ granny) Lolita. She is so funny, but so prepared to hear the gospel. We went to talk to here and she kept talking about how blessed she has been because of the the Savior, and even though her daughter died a couple of months ago, she's so grateful for the Savior and the scriptures. She reads the bible everyday with her family and prays together with them. Everything we talked to her about she kept saying, "AMEN!" and then would shake her head yes over and over again. We will teach her again tomorrow which I'm excited about. :)

Last Monday was a partner in crime for the Murder of Jericho the Chicken. My Zone tried to have me kill the chicken, but they gave me a dull knife. I was hacking away at it, but I was only giving little cuts to the poor chicken's throat. O.o Finally, one of the Elders took over and used for force on it to kill the poor creature. Afterwards learned how to clean and prepare the chicken. Everyone kept asking if I had done this before because I wasn't freaking out like the other american Elders in my Zone. HA HA HA! 

Thanks for the Pictures! ^_^ So the computer I am on is not working for putting pictures up.T_T I'll have to try again next week. 

I'm going to try skype on Dec 25 in the Philippines at 10:00 or 11:00 AM, so I think that is like 7:00pm or 8:00pm your time right? If its later, I'm sorry. So be ready on the computer. 

As for the blog. I think its a great idea. That way you don't have to keep forwarding emails to people. Just tell them the blog and they can follow along if they want. For the other missionaries, I'll tell you when to send them letters. Thank you family! Love you all.

Sis Elsmore


No comments:

Post a Comment