Monday, April 29, 2013

Adventures of Sister Elsmore 31


From: Mandy Elsmore <mandy.elsmore@myldsmail.net>
Date: April 28, 2013 11:27:52 PM CDT

Kumusta!

This week lots has happened. I'm finally getting the hang of the area. Pretty much know the layout and where things are and are called. Also. learning peoples names faster that I ever have before in my entire life. Its AWESOME! Super Blessing! :D

Randy and Manuel were Baptized on Saturday. YAY! They are super awesome and I'm excited for them. Its a little different feeling than from the Siocons, I was there for the whole conversion process with them, but the feelings of joy and excitement for them are the same. I get the joy of helping them (Randy and Manuel) become a part of the Ward and help increase their faith. Its a blessing and a privilege.


Got to hear from Elder Ian S. Arden of the 70 and in the Area Presidency here in the Philippines. He is from New Zealand and said many things that struck my heart. Talked about D&C 46- Gifts of the Spirit. One thing that he said that was interesting, is that all the gifts listed, we are entitled to, being members and having the Gift of the Holy Ghost. If we have a desire to obtain in for others, with humility, without pride, wanting it for a righteous purpose; we must first ask for it then pay for the gift. The price tag is sincere and diligent effort. It makes me think when in pursuit of new skills or "gifts of the spirit": Is my heart and intent right? Have I payed the price? 

I know that if its God's will, and if we work hard, we can accomplish anything. Perhaps its because of this that I always liked to try out new things and work hard to master new skills. Not for myself to brag or show off. Just because life is interesting, fun, and there are so many things to experience and learn. And, if I'm able to use those talents and gifts for others, then for me, there is no greater joy. I'm very thankful for life and this opportunity to learn, grow, and experience. I'm going to keep taking it one day at a time and strive to enjoy the little accomplishments in life. :)  

Funny Stories:
Went to one of our investigator's birthday party. There was a 4 year old girl there who, like all little kids eating ice-cream, had it all over her face and clothes. I was sitting on the ground and she starts giving me kisses on the check. They were very SWEET so say the least. HA HA HA! 

Don't freak out, but I fell down some stairs last Monday. But from my many years of accident pron experiences, I came out with a little scratch on my knee. Manuel and Sister Magalogo were freaking out for a full 30 minutes straight. HA HA HA! Went to Randy's family afterward and they were telling me different methods to disinfect the wound. Alcohol, various herbs, and apparently you can use gasoline as well... interesting. I had alcohol on me and washed it thoroughly later on at home. Its now completely healed and gone, but Now the story has spread like wild fire in the area and everyone keeps telling me to be careful down stairs or giving me tips of how to walk down stairs in swatters. Its really amusing.  

Random little accomplishments:
Opened and changed the water filter. Sister Bowman (kabahay) says I'm the only sister in her entire mission that she has heard of be able to open one. Usually we have to call Elders over to open it because its super awkwardly shaped and screwed on super tight. So yah, got that checked off my list. :)

Learned how to cook Sinigang (a beef stew) from a member, Maria Russel. She's probably one of my favorite people here in the Philippines. We have some really interesting conversations about life, the gospel, and food. :D She owns a restaurant and when people don't know what they want to eat, she bases it off their blood type what to give them. HA HA HA! I guess in general, depending on your blood type you will have more cravings for a certain flavor. I'm the exception though apparently  Said, blood type O usually wants something sweet like ice-cream over mangoes  which is not the case for me. Maria, "Its probably because you  don't have them in the United States that you want them." HA HA HA! Anyway, I guess I'm the exception to the rule, I'd rather have fruits over ice-cream any day.  

Love Ya All Lots! Praying for ya! Go do something new and fun. ;)
Sister Elsmore








No comments:

Post a Comment