Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Adventures of Sister Elsmore 27


From: Mandy Elsmore <mandy.elsmore@myldsmail.net>
Date: April 2, 2013 2:08:21 AM CDT

Kumusta!

Funny Story:
Saw a man filling up some buckets of water. Started talking to him and asked if he wanted some help carrying them. Started laughing and told us it was too heavy for us. I asked him where they needed to go, they he said, "Doon" and pointed with his lips (how they point in the Philippines). I then grab the bucket filled with water and start marching off in the direction he told us too. After going about 15 feet Sister Aree grabs the handle with me and we start marching off together. Which Sister Christensen and the Man follow after us laughing. The problem was, that Sister Aree is a lot shorter than I am, so the bucket was a little lopsided. I ended up getting my shoes wet. (Thank heaven for my crocs. They're one of the best things I've every bought in my life). So then I ended up carrying the bucket by myself the rest of the way. We chatted with him a bit more, and he let us teach his whole family. 

This week has been interesting. We have been teaching about the savior to people and the meaning of Easter. Also why we don't use crosses in our church. Because we want to focus on the fact that Jesus Christ lives! Not his death. The thought occured to me in one of our lessons, that I'm pretty sure that Jesus Christ wants us to be happy in this life. I don't think he wants us to feel sad or depressed because of his sacrifice for us. Simply, because he loves us. Thats the whole reason why he went through the atonement in the first place. Like it says in 1 Nephi 19: 9 "...he suffereth it, because of his loving kindness and his long-suffering towards the children of men." I know that Jesus is our Savior, that he lives and he loves us more that we can comprehend right now. That through his atoning sacrifice and resurrection, we too have a chance to live with our Heavenly Father again and with him. :D

On Saturday, the Siocon Family is getting baptized. YAY!!! I'm super excited for them! The only problem is finding someone who is willing and able to baptize them. O~o Its really hard to get Philippinos to commit to anything. They always say, maybe... Never yes or no. Also, they have a really hard time saying no, so if they don't want to do something, rather than say it, they run away and hide. LITERALLY!!! This one time this woman ran and jumped over her couch and ran to the CR (restroom) to hide as her husband told us she was not here. Or people have their kids come out to say they are not here, which is super funny and sad because the kids will say "Wala daw" which means "They said they're not here." I'm learning how important it is to just be honest with people and tell them no when you don't want to. Its less work, hassle, and for the most part, is less likely to offend people if you do it in a loving manner. 

Love Ya Lots. :)
Sister Elsmore


No comments:

Post a Comment